ABOUT RIG EDGE
In order to develop a good working design for a performance sailing vessel, one must consider the design of not only the sails, but also the mast, rig and hull.
SMAR Azure provides software applications that allow yacht and rig designers to co-operate with sail designers, and vice-versa, to achieve optimal sailing performance.
RigEdge is the unique and innovative software enabling rig and yacht designers to rapidly define their unique rig dimensions. The robust analysis tools quickly evaluate the sail loads on the rig and calculate the rig deformation and relative loads.
The ANALYSIS METHOD
The RigEdge integrated analysis method includes:
- Comprehensive aerodynamic and structural analysis of sails to evaluate the sail loads on the rig
- Cutting-edge structural analysis to calculate the mast bend, luff sag and rig loads
- User-friendly interface enabling rig designers to modify the initial design and set tuning and sailing load cases.
- Graphical plots to make it easy to review the rig performance and compare alternative solutions.
- RIG: spars, standing and running rigging
- SAILS: mainsail and genoa, Hull and Deck
- wind forces over the sail plan
- sails loads on the rig
- mast bend and luff sail
- rig loads and tensions
- Speed Up Rig Design: Drive rig design from concept to definition of rig geometry and loads.
- Explore Alternative designs
- RigEdge provides the flexibility to explore rig design concepts in 3D, by assessing performance in various sailing and tuning conditions.
- Communications with clients made easier
- Sizeable savings to be made
FRANK BLAAS, RONDAL B.V.
“I’ve spent days on deck with the computer monitoring every step […] The results from the calculations were spot on and RigEdge was running without hickups. We achieved a full trim of the main mast (five spreaders) in one day!”
MARTIJN VAN SCHAIK, SEAHORSE NAVAL ARCHITECTS
“With RigEdge I am able to calculate the rigging loads and the load on the chainplates myself, and make informed choices regarding the construction from the start of the process.